A R Rahman Wins Two Grammy Awards

A.R Rahman was presented with two Grammy awards last night. Indian music maestro A.R. Rahman, who won two awards at the 52nd Annual Grammy Awards ceremony, says he never dreamt of winning honours of this stature.

"Insane eh? I never even dreamt about winning all these awards," Rahman posted on his Twitter page after receiving the award.

He was honoured for his compositions in Danny Boyle's fairytale drama 'Slumdog Millionaire' - he won for the best compilation soundtrack for a motion picture and the best motion picture song for "Jai ho", which he shares with lyricist Gulzar and Tanvi Shah.

The composition in the film has won Rahman the most prestigious international awards including two Oscars, the British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA), Critics Choice Award and the Golden Globe.

The singer-composer has thanked a string of people through the micro-blogging site.

"I once again want to thank the Almighty, my spiritual Sufi teachers - Ameen Peerullah Malik Sahib, Danny Boyle, Fox, the whole 'Slumdog...' creative team, all the awesome actors in the movie and Resul Pookutty. My whole team, Gulzarji, Sukhvinder Singh, Tanvi Shah, Vijay Prakash, my friend and sound engineer the late H. Sridhar....



"My agents Sam Schwartz and Amos Newman, my mentors Mani Ratnam, Shekhar Kapur and Subhash Ghai, and mentor in the west, Andrew Lloyd Webber, folks at id-PR, Allison and Courtney... extraordinary musicians from Chennai and Mumbai, my mother, my father, my sisters and my lovely wife and children... And all my well wishers from the world who keep me going... Jai ho India!" he posted.

Rahman started his career with director Mani Ratnam's 1992 Tamil film "Roja" and has never looked back since.

India celebrated yesterday as A.R. Rahman added two more laurels to the highly successful rags-to-riches drama, Slumdog Millionaire. He bagged two Grammys at the 52nd Grammy Awards ceremony that took place at the Staples Centre, Los Angeles on Sunday.

The ‘Mozart of Madras’, as he is fondly called in his hometown, Chennai, won the award for best compilation soundtrack for a motion picture and “Jai Ho” also from Slumdog, won the best motion picture song. He shares the latter with lyricist Gulzar who wrote the song.

Chennai erupted into spontaneous celebrations and his huge fan following was abuzz in the blogosphere and the Twitterverse. On his twitter page, Rahman said that it was insane and “I never even dreamt about winning all these awards.” He went on to thank a host of people from the Almighty, his spiritual Sufi teachers, Danny Boyle and Fox to his family and friends. Celebrities from the Indian film industry also congratulated him.



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails